Monday, April 18, 2016

The Great Past 6 Months!

It felt like yesterday that I wrote my last post, so you can imagine my surprise when I decided to do a post and realized it has been about 6 months  Ladies and gentlemen, there are no excuses.  I have failed the family blog.  However, the good news is that if you are true friends, you are following us on instagram and are pretty well caught up with the happenings of the Hutchings.  If you are not currently following us on instagram, then you have no clue what has been going on in our lives which has been not a little, and I highly recommend that you get on instagram and search for "jakeandem" so that you can be up to date.  Also, it takes a really long time to add a lot of photos, especially the ones that we have taken over the last 6 months, so, today you will not be getting a plethora of pictures on our blog, in fact I think that you should look at instagram since that is the main communication pathway these days.

OK, now that is out of the way, let's go.  6-7 months have passed, what has happened in that time? Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, a dog joins our family, lots of birthdays, New Year's, a dog leaves our family, Spring Break-Branson 2016, among other activities and such, which is where I will try to pick it up.  But, please know that both good and bad times were had by all.
Nice Catch! Branson, MO
Table Rock Lake
I have decided to skip all of the exciting times and go straight to this last week where I was in Springfield, MO doing a pediatric dental externship (mainly to make sure that is actually what I want to do when I grow up).  I have learned a few things after spending a week in Springfield which is also known as: "the Queen City of the Ozarks", "the Birthplace of Route 66" and the home of the national headquarters of Bass Pro Shops, "The Grandaddy of all outdoor stores"; I learned that it is the third largest city in Missouri, I learned that there are some amazing places to eat (anyone ever had a fried pickle and ranch burger? Delicious!), and I learned that I definitely could one day live there (either for a residency or as a final destination location)
World Bass Pro Shops Headquarters-this one puts most other outdoor stores to shame (even Cabela's, sorry Dad)
I stayed with the parents of some of our friends, and they have a great location, about 15 minutes north of Springfield, they have a few acres.  I was able to see nature in action, much to the chagrin of our friends, where I saw a fox snag one of their free-roaming chickens.  That was one of those situations that you feel grateful that you saw it, but felt really bad for them.  The coolest thing was when I first got to their house I noticed a bookshelf that was completely yellow, when I looked closer, I realized that it was full of National Geographic magazines! Some issues went all the way back to the 1920's, and they have every issue from 1951 to present.  So, as a lover of Nat Geo, I went straight for the issue that is the most important to me, December 1979 (my birth month).  It was so great to see the ads for a Toyota Corolla, which was funny since that is the car I currently drive.
National Geographic heaven!
Greatest issue ever
During my externship, I met some great people that really allowed me to get to see what it is like to be a pediatric dental resident, and I decided that is definitely what I want to do when I grow up.  I felt like it is my "calling in life", to work with kids and to get their mouths healthy.  Huge thank you to the residency program at Jordan Valley Community Health Center!

As I was pulling into the driveway from my week-long trip I got a call from Cooper saying that they were at the pool and I needed to come quick because Bennett fell and needs stitches.  I pulled into the driveway and backed right out to rush to the pool and take poor little Bennett to the Urgent Care where they decided that he did indeed need stitches.  The nurse practitioner told us that we could go to the hospital to have plastics stitch him up since it is in such a noticeable spot, but we figured that since he was so young, and that he is a "he" and would love a good scar to show for the rest of his life, we decided that it was ok to have the nurse practitioner do the stitching.  Bennett was hilarious the entire time, laughing and joking, talking and playing, he was an all-star.  
This is to show you that it was definitely in a very noticeable location
Just chillin'
Happy Boy
Ninja Headband

1 comment: