Monday, January 14, 2013

Adios NICU!

This is a bittersweet, but mostly sweet, feeling.  We have all 3 of them home now!  What a blessing.  I can't express my gratitude enough to the hard work and dedication that the NICU nurses have demonstrated for our 3 little ones.  Today as we rolled our 2 littlest ones out of the NICU, we left them with NO babies!  3 days ago they were at full capacity , and today zero.  They are going to be bored tonight!  All day as I was working I would check my phone constantly to see if Emily had texted about the babies.  She did tell me that Bennett had a Brady today just as she was walking into the room as if he was saying, "I think I want to stay with the nurses here!"  But, it wasn't a full-on Brady, and Bennett was able to kick right out of it, so they watched his patterns very closely for the rest of the day thinking that it was probably just a misread from the monitor.  Apparently it was, because he is home now!
Last pictures in their NICU beds:
Bennett
Taya
It was fun to get them in their carseats, they are so little.  We got them in the car and said goodbye to the nurses that were there today.  One cool thing (literally cool) is that it snowed, so they got to come home in freezing cold temperature and a skiff of snow on the ground.  Talk about driving like a nervous wreck!  I had my eyes super peeled looking for anyone sliding or following too close.  What has happened to my driving skills in the snow?  I guess I have been away for too long.


Yes, we are those people now (and this is only for 2)
Good-Bye NICU
Both Bennett and Taya are on oxygen, which we learned very fast that it is going to be a huge hazard in our house of bigger boys.  I think that we may just have to leave them pretty stationary until they can get rid of the nose hoses.  They seem to be happy being together for the first time, next to each other since the womb.
So, Taya's official discharge weight was 5 lbs 3 oz, she went up 10 ounces from birthweight!  Bennett was officially 5 lbs 15 oz, he did the same, 10 ounces!  Anderson had a pediatrician's appointment today and he weighed 7 lbs 3 oz, that is up 1 lb 2 oz from his birthweight, Chunk!  Soon he'll be able to do the "Truffle Shuffle"!




We are so excited to have them home, I'm not looking forward to the nights (I know Emily is even less excited than I am about nights) but someone has to do it and it might as well be us I guess.  Well, till next time!
Usually when you see a line up of 3 or more babies, it is a picture
of cousins that are close in age.  Not here!  These are siblings! 



3 comments:

  1. I've lived in Albuquerque and I can't blame you for the way you drove home! Congratulations! I'm so excited for the eight of you. And some time, I want to add our boy to your three kids for a picture - after all, they're the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I loved reading it. The pic of them all lined up together made me laugh because of the differences in size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to meet them. Where I can sign up to come out and help? I'm going to start watching my fare tracker to Albuquerque!

    ReplyDelete